December 6, 2008

The Execution of Polish Underground Soldiers "Inka" And "Zagonczyk" Related by Rev. Marian Prusak.

"[...] In the end I was lead through a narrow descent into what looked like a cellar. They were already there. I think they were handcuffed, or had their hands tied. I had a crucifix with me and gave it to them to kiss. They [the UB, Polish secret police] wanted to cover their eyes, but they refused. Near them waited a bunch of men so it was little crowded. There was a military procurator and many young UB men. They placed these two unfortunate ones against small stakes. In the corner was a small table where the procurator read decision for the sentence, and gave order to carry out the execution. There was, what looked like, a small recess, bare red bricks, there were stakes about half a man’s height. They stood them against them; I don’t remember if they were tied to them. Those who were there didn’t respect the seriousness of the moment. They were shouting obscenities towards the condemned while the procurator read the sentence and announced that the request for commutation was rejected. His last words were: “Into the traitors of the motherland, fire!” At this moment the condemned shouted, as if they had earlier agreed: “Long live Poland!” After that guns fired, they slumped to the ground. Two or three soldiers shot; I think with Pe-Pe-Sha [PPSh-41 - Soviet submachine gun], from a short distance of maybe 3-4 meters. I remember that the floor was red, made of what looked like tiles; in the middle was a small groove, I think to allow blod to drain out. They [“Inka” and “Zagonczyk”] collapsed. I couldn’t look at it, but I remember that both of them were still alive. Then, an officer approached and finished them off with a shot to the head. I don’t know who it was. I couldn’t bare it. I remember only that a name was mentioned; I think Suchocki, and that this man wore a uniform. I tend to think that it was the procurator who [earlier] red the sentence. I stood surrounded by a group of people around me, and my view was somewhat obstructed. I didn’t know that next to me stood a doctor. Later, I had to sign a statement about the execution. Right after that they lead me out. I don’t remember how I got to the car; I don’t know if I was riding with those who brought me there. No one spoke to me in the car". Click Here to read the entire story

No comments:

Post a Comment